Friday, September 7, 2012

Maps, Robots, and Toothlessness

We had our second week of school this week.  The boys are really enjoying so many aspects of school right now.  My favorite moments have been in History and Read Aloud (Literature).  In History we are studying the Middle Ages this year using The Story of the World Volume 2.  This is such cool curriculum.  The boys have been avidly listening to the fall of the Roman Empire, the invasion of barbarians, the arrival of Anglo Saxons in Britain, and the spread of Christianity from Rome to Canterbury.  No joke.  I might have studied this stuff in junior high, but I promise you that I cared more about my hair than Pope Gregory or Augustine.  Our dudes can't get enough of it.  Invading hoards, Celtic warriors, and long dangerous journeys - they live for this stuff.  There are even coloring sheets!  Here's a pic of map work the day we discussed Augustine's arrival in Canterbury from Rome.

Okay.  Paul is coloring a figure on a magic carpet with his face pasted onto it.  Last week we pretended to take a magic carpet ride around the Roman Empire at the height of its power.  Paul never got around to coloring his picture.
After they finished coloring, I decided to ride the wave of Map Love.  I opened up the GeoPuzzle of Europe.  This thing is amazing.  Most pieces are the actual shapes of the countries, with some obvious exceptions - Vatican City, Liechtenstein, etc.  Luke spent the next 20 minutes putting this bad boy together.  Paul wanted to do one too, but I only had one Europe, so he did Asia.  We aren't studying Asia right now, but we will be!  A few pics just for fun.

Paul loves puzzles.  Luke loves maps.  They both love GeoPuzzles.
Both dudes hard at work.

Finished and pointing to the United Kingdom because we are studying it right now.
Finished and pointing to Thailand because Grandma and Grandpa have been there.  Cute!

We are continuing to read The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  It is always the last thing we do each day.  The boys snuggle with me on the couch in the playroom and listen intently.  It's a pretty delightful story.  The boys are noticing that even though he wants to ask Oz for a brain, the Scarecrow often comes up with the idea that saves the day.  It's so fun to read great literature with them.  I don't have any pictures of that sweetness.  Sorry.

Today we did a Kiwi Crate craft.  I love these things.  They send a box with all the materials AND instructions to create two cool crafts.  This is seriously a dream come true for me.  I am NOT crafty.  And I don't want to be.  I want to open a box and have an instant opportunity for my kids to be creative while I go pour myself a second cup of coffee.  Don't judge!  I have other gifts.  ;-)

Here are the pics of the Kiwi Crate craft for today - My Robo Buddy!
Using metallic pens and paper to decorate their robots.  Serious business.
Luke with his finished Bot Buddy

Paul with his finished Bot Buddy
The Kiwi Crate included a little wind-up toy robot that you place under your Bot Buddy, thus enabling it to move around and be even more adorable.  Both boys were hugely entertained by this.  Luke created three more bots with extra materials so he could have a train of them.  Paul created a cart of sorts with his extra materials and ended up with a dump truck-like thing.  So fun!

 In other Bangsund News, Luke lost his second tooth on Wednesday afternoon.  He was super jazzed.

Calling Daddy to share the fun news!

Happy with the hole in his mouth!







No comments: