Monday, March 26, 2007

Unexpected Grace

I experienced an added measure of God's grace today in an unexpected situation. Many are familiar with God's grace seen in His amazing forgiveness and love. I saw it in the midst of emergency and crisis. While I was babysitting for a good friend and close sister in Christ, her beautiful two-year-old daughter tripped and crashed headfirst into a wooden couch leg, splitting her forehead wide open down to the bone. I am NOT a blood and bone person. Looking back, it was the presence of the Holy Spirit that moved my limbs and spoke my words as I scooped the bleeding toddler up and headed for the bathroom. Prayer is always effective. I prayed for wisdom and was reminded to apply pressure. I prayed for help and one of the older kids called the dad at work before I even thought of it. Mom arrived home within twenty minutes of the accident. She was greeted by a calm child, a calm babysitter, and five other calm children, one of whom was my 19-month old who didn't peep about me holding the injured soul on my lap and reading stories just to her. How great is our God? He enables us to do that which seems impossible and extends grace in moments when all else fails us. He is good. I am thankful. And the sweet baby girl got three stitches and didn't make a peep throughout the entire process. More answered prayer than we know what to do with. That is our God.

No comments: