Saturday, December 8, 2007

Tree Traditions

We actually did acquire our Christmas tree last weekend. Sunday after lunch, Erik and I braved the gross weather and drove to the tree farm nearby the one we thought belonged to our BSF friend. Stay tuned for the crazy conclusion to that story. When we arrived it was pouring down rain. I spotted the tree from our vehicle. Small, easy to cut. I didn't notice the red tag denoting that the tree farmers wanted to give it another year to grow. So we didn't cut it down. When we shared with them that we were interested in a small tree, they pointed to a few they had already cut and asked if we wanted a "less than perfect tree". We picked the Charlie Brownest tree they had for the amazing bargain price of $5. While writing the check, I asked whom I should make it to. Turns out this "nearby farm" IS the BSF dude's tree farm. Funny.
We brought our little tree home and had it up in its stand before Luke awoke from his nap. When he came out to the living room he said, "Oh, my Christmas tree." We spent the next few hours decorating and dancing. When it was all done, we turned off the lights to enjoy our handiwork. Luke said, "And now we will sing the song." Fortunately I was prepared. He had been talking about singing "the song" for the Christmas tree all week and I had figured out that he was referring to the Charlie Brown Christmas Special when all the characters gather around the restored and decorated tree to sing. Having discovered that this was Luke's expectation for the Christmas tree event, we all sat around the tree and sang "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing." Great family tradition. Thanks, Luke.
I love the less than perfect trees. They remind me of...me. And Jesus picked me out of the "less than perfect" pile, and He is restoring and decorating me, turning me into the person I was made to be in Him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Love, Mom