Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Week in Review

It was a good week here in Bangsundland.  I will admit that after flying home from New York on Sunday and attending my BSF Leaders Meeting on Monday at 5am, I was a bit more tired than usual.  It was definitely a week when I was thankful that the curriculum I use is laid out and easy to follow.  School happened in pajamas a few times this week.  Nobody seemed to mind.

I'm realizing that I haven't posted any pictures of my adorable nephews yet.  Criminal!  Here are a few for those who need more cute in their worlds.

 Precious Smiles from Rory

 Joey loves to dig!  And he's adorable.

 Rory watching "his horse" eat grain.

 So sweet!
My last night there, Joey came and snuggled with me on the couch, asking me repeatedly why I had to leave the next day.  What a sweetheart.

As we head into the last six weeks of school, I begin my annual tradition of evaluating the past year and planning for the next.  As I was thinking of where to place Paul for reading next year, I decided to grab a couple of Sonlight's 1st grade readers from the library to see if Paul was anywhere near ready for them.  Check this out.  This was on his first reading of A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock.


I just can't claim much credit on this one.  Paul is only four, and I actually haven't hit phonics much with him, but he, much like his brother, is a natural reader.  I've probably said it before, but I feel like my boys' abilities to read are a gift from Jesus Christ.  It means that homeschooling is not a stressful thing.  It's fun and easy.  I know very well that this is not always the case.  I also know that the Lord has called me to minister in my home and outside of my home in various ways.  Having boys who read two or three levels above their grade is simply God saying, "I got this one, Ames.  You can depend on Me."  And so I do.  I depend on the One who created me and saved me to sustain me and strengthen me for all He has called me to do.  Because not everything is as easy as "teaching" my boys to read.

One more thing about this video.  I love the way Luke sits and listens to his brother read.  He cheers for him and is so proud of him.  It is also somewhat miraculous that Luke doesn't correct Paul or interrupt him.  Six months ago, this video would  have been mostly Luke telling Paul what word comes next and Paul getting angry with Luke.  I'm so thankful for the slow, but sure, process of growing up and maturing.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Priceless... we also noticed Luke's restraint and joy in Paul's accomplishments.

Love, G & G