Friday, October 12, 2012

Pants, Tables, Lapbooks, and More!

It's Friday, so it must be time to blog!  It's been another good week in Bangsund Land.  The boys enjoyed time on their bikes and a trip to the park before the weather became officially autumnal today.  In fact, it is raining earnestly for the first time since July.  I actually aught to be cleaning my kitchen in preparation for a dinner party tonight, but the rain outside and the Starbucks Americano beside me want me to blog instead.  The kitchen will wait.

Speaking of fall weather, Paul emerged from his room dressed like this today:


So, what's the big deal?  He's wearing PANTS and LONG SLEEVES, people!  That's HUGE!  This is the child who did not wear pants or long sleeves once last winter.  NOT ONCE!  I was thrilled.  So thrilled that I took this picture and didn't take the time to remove the red eye.  Oh well.

As long as we are talking about Paul, he had an insanely adorable moment this morning.  He arrived in the living room with two books and proceeded to read one of them to us, Dr. Suess' ABC.  I started shooting video at "I" and ended up with eight minutes of what I think is adorable, but what might just bore those who aren't fans.  Feel free to skip.



Did I mention that we got a new dining room table?  That actually happened two weeks ago, but this news slipped through the blogosphere cracks.  It's a gathering table with long legs that make it taller.  It came with four chairs and a bench that probably seats three to four kids.  I really love it, and so do the boys.  I wax it nearly every day.  It just looks so pretty!

This was right after we got it home.  The boys immediately turned it into a fort, but you get the idea.
Our old table only accommodated four people.  Period.  I like that this one really allows for up to eight.  We could even buy a second bench and seat four adults and six kids.  Now that's a dinner party!

In completely unrelated news, Luke is almost done with his lapbook for My Father's Dragon.  It has turned out so well!  I took some pictures to share with y'all.

Okay.  A little bit of copyright infringement.  I just photo copied the front cover of the book. This is not being published and I'm not making any money from this blog.  And I'm absolutely positive that Luke will not make any money from his lapbook.
The first pages opened.
Luke narrated his description of Crossing the River for me, and I wrote it down along the tops of the crocodiles.  If you open the kitty cat, Luke wrote, "Elmer gave the cat a saucer of milk."  It's an example of kindness in the book.  The tortoises are a tri-fold with facts about...tortoises!

The rest of the crocodiles.
The inside section.
 My favorite activity was the Main Character fold out in the upper left hand corner.  First, Luke colored Elmer's shirt with red and white stripes, just like the front cover of the book.  I just thought it looked cool.  Then he narrated for me one fact about Elmer for each of the seven pages of this little book.  I'm not kidding.  You string them together into a paragraph, and he would pass the 7th Grade WASL, the test I used to teach to, I mean prepare kids for.  Wanna hear what he narrated?  Sure you do!

"Elmer is a little boy.  Elmer is kind.  Elmer goes to Wild Island to rescue the dragon.  Elmer helps others.  Elmer uses the things in his backpack to distract the animals.  He is brave!  The desire Elmer has to fly is part of the reason he went to Wild Island."

No joke.  This isn't amazing writing for a 7th grader, but it would pass a lot of the standardized tests out there.  For a 2nd grader I think it absolutely rocks.  Yes, I am biased.

Luke also wrote a thank you letter today.  He narrated this to me.  I wrote it down, then he copied it into his own handwriting.  This, by the way, is exactly what he does for language arts nearly every day.  It was a great application of the skills.


I wanted Paul to write his own name, but he was clearly uncomfortable putting his signature on something that he clearly did not compose.  I asked if Luke could write his name.  He was cool with that.  This, by the way, was in response to an Adventure taken with Grandma and Grandpa this week to Station Number 1 here in Portland, also known as The Big House.  They were treated to an extra special tour of the fire station, something that apparently isn't common.  Awesome!

The boys and the pole.

Checking out the truck.

Captain Greg Wong and the boys.
So the last thing that I want to blog about has nothing to do with the boys.  I created a new fall favorite for myself.  I've been wanting to not eat so many carbs at the end of the day because they make me fat.  This leaves me looking for alternatives to the brown rice that I serve with just about everything.  Don't get me wrong.  Brown rice is good for you, but I need to not eat so many carbs at the end of the day...because they make me fat.

Ginger Sesame Stir Fry Stuffed Squash

It's pretty easy.  Saute some chicken.  This is actually Morningstar Farms Chik'n, a vegetarian alternative, but real chicken would work, too.  Then add orange peppers and mushrooms along with two tablespoons of Newman's Own Lite Ginger Sesame dressing.  Steam half an acorn squash in the microwave.  Dump in the goods.  Eat it.  Smile because it tastes amazing AND it's good for you.

Have a great weekend, Three People Who Read My Blog!







1 comment:

Courtney said...

I am super impressed with Luke's writing, too! That is better than what some high school kids I have worked with can produce. And his handwriting is better, too! You make homeschooling sound fun =)