Friday, November 16, 2012

Baking Fun - Dark Chocolate Harvest Muffins

This post is a bit of a departure from our regularly scheduled programming.

We have been baking a lot lately.  I wanted to have a recipe that I could throw together for guests or snack or whatever.  I started with a recipe from allrecipes.com, but quickly altered it to meet our needs.  We are still working on a name for our new creation, but so far we like "Dark Chocolate Harvest Muffins."  Here is our recipe:

Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin pan.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon clove
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Create a well in the center and add "wet ingredients."
2 eggs
1 cup butternut squash, peeled, cubed, steamed, and mashed (immersion blender works well for this)
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses

Mix until dry ingredients are absorbed.  Fold in 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips.  Spoon into muffin cups so they are about 2/3 full.  For mini muffins, bake for 15 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.  For full-sized muffins, bake for 18 minutes.  Cool in pan before removing.

For the record, I buy butternut squash with a very tall top part, providing LOTS of squash without the scooping out part.  I will often peel and cube the entire thing and use my microwave steamer to cook it all at once.  It takes about 10 minutes on high to make it ready for blending.  When it's done I use my immersion blender to make it creamy.  Then I freeze it in 1 cup containers so I can just pull it out and make muffins!

Pictures because otherwise the fans will revolt!

Paul's smile as we turned on the Christmas music for the first time this morning.  I know it's early, but it was an irresistible combination.  Baking + Christmas Music = Awesome!

Luke's happy face appeared as he heard the Christmas music from his room.  Adorable.

Finished Dark Chocolate Harvest Muffins!  Powdered sugar is just for the fun of it.


No comments: