Saturday, August 3, 2013

Double Birthday Party Goodness

Today was the day.  We celebrated Paul's 6th Birthday and Luke's 8th Birthday with a double birthday party at Bricks 4 Kidz (I despise that z, but there's nothing I can do about it).  It was altogether epic.

Before the pictures, I must give credit publicly to my amazing sister.  When I was in New York in June, I shared with her the higher level of commitment we are being called to in BSF this year.  I mentioned that I wasn't sure how the boys' birthdays were going to work because I knew already that I would have one training the day before Paul's birthday and another the day of Luke's birthday, followed by a third the day afterward.  My incredibly wise sister looked at me and said two words that changed my life forever.  Combine. Them.  WHAT?!?  She went on to describe how smart it would be to pick a date between the boys birthdays (and also between the trainings), rent out a super awesome place, and throw one massive party this year.  It took me three seconds to realize my sister is a complete genius.  I quickly decided to implement her plan.

The second song of praise is for my fabulous husband Erik.  When I shared these thoughts with him over the phone that night, he immediately said, "I have the place."  Done and done.  I didn't really care where we ended up.  And Erik picked a winner.

Bricks 4 Kids (I can't type that "z" again) is an awesome place run by awesome people.  It specializes in LEGO camps and after school activities, but it also throws a pretty sweet party.  For the first hour, the kids just played with massive tubs of LEGO on big tables while the parents sat in comfortable couches on the other side of the sound proof windows enjoying hummus and fresh vegetables, listening to Pandora.  The level of quiet and concentration in that room made me realize the superiority of this place over something like JJ Jump.  Oh. My. Word.  No comparison, people.  Our guests were able to build and create using their imaginations.  They were even supplied with special kits, if desired, to help them complete builds with moving parts.  A plane with motorized propellors, people.  Instead of bruises and sweaty children.  Yep.

The food was served in a separate room on tables I didn't set with pizza I didn't bake or pick up.  Magic.  When it was time for cake, Tommie, Awesome Bricks 4 Kids Man, appeared with a lighter.  I started the singing, and I think that was my only responsibility of the day.  It was hard, but someone had to do it.  Erik recorded that business.  I'll see if I can get it to upload.

The present room came next, with a table for each boy.  We happened upon a fun new tradition.  With two birthday boys and a Mommy who wanted to maintain order, we decided to have each child present their gifts in turn.  It worked PERFECTLY!  Each family had a set of siblings, one of whom had brought a specific gift for the Birthday Boy closest to their age.  Jeffrey gave Paul his gift.  Nathan gave Luke his gift.  And so on, back and forth, until everyone had presented a gift.  The guests LOVED it.  There's something special about handing something to someone and then getting to sit next to them while they open it.  It's more personal.  My favorite moment was when Paul nearly blew the hair off Jeffrey's head with his authentic and excited THANK YOU!

Did I mention that the entire time, Tommie, the aforementioned Man of Awesomeness, was walking around with a really expensive digital camera, snapping close up pics of the guests and the Birthday Boys?  Well, he was.  I took a few shots, but I mostly sat back and enjoyed the party.

And now comes the part that I think is super amazing and awesome.  I don't know how many of you recall Luke's party last year, but it was unique because he decided to raise money for a well in Haiti.  This year I was sad that nothing like this was going to happen.  Still waiting for the well, I've struggled to think about focusing the boys on something new.  Both boys got a fair amount of cash as part of their gifts today.  I want to say that each boy probably got about $20.  That's serious bank in their world, people.  On the way home, I just mentioned in passing that perhaps the Backyard Bible Club they are going to attend this coming week will have an opportunity for them to give to those in need.  They both lit up and Paul actually said, "I'm going to give all my money, mom.  Because I want to give everything to Jesus."  He's serious.  He has his needs and some of his wants provided for.  It is easy for him to give.  I need to be more like my six year old son.

Will we do this again?  Perhaps.  Or maybe next year, we will find a way to combine the parties and raise money for a new well without spending on a rental and still allowing the Mommy the opportunity to enjoy the party.  Hmmm...what would that look like?  We have a whole year to brainstorm, people.  Comment with your ideas!

And now for the pics.

 Totally awesome Ninjago Lego centerpiece

 The food room with Totally Awesome Tommie doing last minute prep...not me.  So cool.

 The Cake - it's dairy-free and those are collectible mini figs on it.  And it looks like someone is turning 86.  LOVE it.

 They like cake, people.

 Free Play Space in front.  Parental Sanity Space behind the glass.

 Sorry about the glare, but I didn't want to interrupt the build.  Paul and a guest build a plane with motorized props.

 Ready to eat!

 Presents!  Paul on this side...

 Luke on this side!  He's holding up a homemade card from a friend.  So cool.

Luke shares another homemade card with the Daddy-Man.  Pretty sweet.

When Tommie gets me the pics he took, I'll probably post a few more.

And as Erik so jubilantly proclaimed as we got in the van to come home, we're done!!  Beautiful.

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Happy Birthday to the boys... sounds like it was a great day and perfect for ALL attending... sending our love and hugs, Grandma and Grandpa