Friday, August 22, 2014

Week 2 - DONE!

We finished the second week of school today.  Of course, it looks so very different from a public school.  I submit Exhibit A as evidence:

Exhibit A:  Spelling and Math Bangsund Style
(Where is his shirt?  SO thankful it's not his pants that go missing all the time!)

Overall, I am hugely pleased with how our year has started.  Both boys are coming to the school table quickly and with decent attitudes.  More often this week, both boys have worked simultaneously at the table.  Again, this feels like victory each time.  I just wasn't sure what it would look like.  See Exhibit A.  :-)

Sometimes one boy has to wait while I help the other boy.  This is such a good thing.  I will admit that homeschooling means my kids are not good at waiting in lines.  They just don't get much practice.  But at least now they are getting more practice at waiting for my attention.  It's the little things.

I've managed to stay organized using our handy dandy green tubs and my fabulous rolling cart.  Have I shared a picture of this with you before?


This puppy is on wheels and I love it.  All our science, history, and literature books in one place, along with my Instructor's guide and clipboards with science worksheets.  I roll it over to the couch for these subjects - instant classroom -  and roll it back over to the wall when we are done - instant playroom.  So. Awesome.

This coming week we will add in our final seatwork subjects, Writing for Luke and Grammar for Paul.  I'm excited to run the complete schedule to see how it flows.  If I've learned anything on this crazy journey, it is that flexibility is the key.  Let 'em jump when they need to jump, or if they want to do all the seatwork in one sitting, let 'em.  Right?  That has never happened, but I'm prepared for it if it does!


1 comment:

Lynne said...

So glad school is off to such a good start.

Great photos.