Saturday, September 26, 2015

Real Hospitality

Hospitality has never been my thing.  None of the rooms in my house would ever come close to being featured in a magazine, unless it were a periodical about people who get most of their furniture for free and leave fake wood paneling on their walls.   Not because it's hip.  More because they can't be bothered.  It's just low on the priority list.

I've been in homes that are beautifully appointed.  They made me feel like I was at a lovely bed and breakfast.  Now THAT'S hospitality.  Little soaps in the bathroom.  Fancy napkins folded in fancy ways.  Furniture that looks like someone picked it out instead of having it offered for free from a neighbor who was moving.  My house has just never fit the bill.  It's not that it's messy (although it often is messy).  It's more that none of the furniture/decor really matches or is fashionable.  And I don't care.  At all.

So, I've always figured this removed me from the realm of those gifted with hospitality.  Recently someone told me I was wrong.  Here's why.

About five weeks ago a family from our church moved into our basement for the four weeks before they left town to go plant a new church in Nashville, TN.  Five more people in our home, including a four year old, a 22 month old, and a newborn.  Crazy, right?

About a week after they moved in, I was explaining our temporary family of nine to my friend, Dena. I couldn't help smiling and laughing at how delightful it was having a very full house.  And she looked at me and told me that I clearly had the gift of hospitality.  I argued with her!  I said, "No!  I'm not baking or anything.  And the house is FAR from clean most days.  I just love having them in our home.  That's different, right?"

Dena just looked at me and shook her head.  "Amy, that IS hospitality - enjoying people in your home and making them feel comfortable and loved."

This exploded my brain.  What?  Hospitality isn't Pinterest everything?  I can't buy it on Etsy?  That just sounds nuts.  But it's true.  It is more about my heart than my home.  And lo and behold, I have a heart that LOVES having folks in my home.

No comments: