Sunday, June 24, 2007

Toddler Goo

Have you ever been in a restaurant and watched your child melt into a screaming puddle of toddler goo? Friday night we experienced this for the first time and were a little taken aback. Daddy handled it with grace and dignity, removing said pile of goo from the highchair and taking him outside to "walk it off." While this helped immensely, Toddler Luke was unable to return to the table to enjoy his chicken strips and french fries. We got the food to go.

Saturday we treated Toddler Luke to a morning at the Children's Museum, one of his favorite destinations. He played in the dig pit with Daddy, fixed food in the kitchen, enjoyed the water room and was in awe of the green screen technology which allowed him to watch himself on TV. A kind volunteer let us know that story time was beginning on the lawn outside, so we got our hands stamped and headed for the carpet squares. Luke stole the show by sitting next to the story reader and occasionally making comments about the characters involved. This seemed acceptable to his parental units. It was when he started roaming the crowd, demanding a little more attention that we realized Toddler Goo was about to make its appearance right here, right now. It did. We extracted him quickly and not at all quietly.

So what did Sunday bring? A touch of apprehension on our part to go out in public perhaps? Never! A quick trip to Fred Meyer this morning was followed by church. No goo. The last event of the day was a 2-year-old's birthday party complete with presents that weren't Luke's and balloons he couldn't have. Amazingly, despite only having had an hour-long nap, Luke did not succumb to goo. We enjoyed the party for about an hour and a half and departed with smiles and waves to the birthday boy. I will confess, this was before presents were opened. Why press your luck?

Lessons learned: Toddler Goo will happen and you cannot predict where or when. Quick extraction is a must, so don't get too attached to the groceries in your cart.

2 comments:

Jess said...

Working at the movie theater, I've always watched and wondered at parents who bring their toddlers and occasionally infants to a two-and-a-half hour long movie. What's wrong with people anyways? I'm already terrified of my first moment when I have kids when my child goes off the deep end. I've even watched as it happened to others and desperately thought to myself that I would never bring my kids outside of the house.

My younger brother once threw himself on the ground, screaming, in the middle of a Hallmark store because my mom wouldn't buy him chocolate. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Anyways, you're awesome. You give me courage about these things and help put it all into perspective. Way to be a super-mom.
(Oh, I know you're busy, but next time you have a moment, check your email. :) .)

Anonymous said...

I loved your Toddler Goo stories....Luke and TBA are very blessed little ones to have you for parents.

with love and hugs,
Gama