Saturday, November 21, 2009

A Fat Rat

You might be thinking, "Gross!" Let me explain. Luke read his first book all by himself this week on Wednesday. It's title is A Fat Rat. He was SO thrilled! I was pretty excited myself. My favorite moment was on the page with the words "a fat mat" when Luke looked at the picture and said, "A fat piece of cheese." I burst out laughing and he joined in. We belly laughed for at least a minute before I explained the importance of looking at the words and not just the pictures. He finished the book and was ready to read it again. Erik was even able to come home from work in the middle of the day to have Luke read to him for the first time. Pretty special day.

In other news, I am at the beach right now. My friend Liza and I have run away from home for the weekend. We are watching movies, enjoying the amazing view from the windows of this beach front house (a huge thank you to neighbors John and Nancy for letting us stay here!), and scrapbooking. The weather is stormy and fun. There are some brave souls out on the beach at this moment. Liza and I are making cinnamon rolls, drinking coffee and wearing pajamas. I love it.
And now for the pictures!

Daddy and Luke made this rainbow using his cars last week. Super cute.

Luke helping Paul to "read" A Fat Rat. Adorable.

Other learning fun...we have been reading about levers in The Berenstain Bears Big Book of Science. On Thursday Luke looked at our long, black tube (used for zooming matchbox cars) and said, "Mommy, it's like a lever. I push here and it goes up on the other end." Nice application of learning, buddy!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Very sweet... I love the lever discovery. Love, Grandma

Enjoy your get-away to the coast. YEA DUCKS!!