Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not what you would expect

It happened today! The Nordstrom's Holiday catalog arrived at our house. I immediately dropped everything and made this poster for my husband.

"Another 2 Reasons You Love Me: Neither the most expensive NOR the least expensive bags (nor anything in between) from the Nordstrom's Tossmas Catalog appeal to me! Happy Advent Conspiracy!!" Under the picture on the left: "$2695 = the cost of 28 farm animals that could save 10 families from starvation in the third world." On the right: "$450 would provide 9 families with tools, training, and seed to begin subsistence farming drought-resistant vegetables and grains."

I think I'll keep the sign up for awhile. It's a great reminder for me and those I love. We will celebrate differently. This is our new tradition. Catalogs will be tossed. Gifts will be relational. The ones who need it the most will get the food, water, shelter, clothing, medical supplies, and education for Christmas. I'm so excited to teach my boys the story of Jesus' birth again this year. And I can't wait to live it for them through sacrificial giving. What will you teach? What will you give?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful way to share the conspiracy...very visual! God Bless you and yours.
Love, Mom