Saturday, July 28, 2012

Crazier Than Usual

I did something today that is far from normal for me. The 5k Foam Fest is an adventure run that includes a variety of obstacles involving both mud and, you guessed it, foam. How did I manage to join in such a crazy venture? Peer pressure. :-) My co-leader at Bible Study Fellowship this year, Mindy Davis, was training for a marathon all year, which she ran on Father's Day. Sometime in December after I had made it abundantly clear that I would NOT be joining her for the marathon, Mindy invited me to consider the Foam Fest. 5k. Obstacles. Mud. Foam. Sure. Why not? It got even crazier and more exciting when Jana, our Teaching Leader joined the party about six weeks ago. I'll tell the rest of the story with the pictures.
Mindy, Jana, and Amy ready to rock the 5k Foam Fest 2012

 Our first obstacles were two of these walls.  They were about five feet tall.  The set after these were about fifteen feet tall.  I'm sad there are no pics of me going over the top, but I will tell you that exposure therapy is the way to go.  :-)  Let me explain.  Mindy is a counselor and her two buddies work in the same office.  Their team name was The Freudian Slips.  And they wore slips.  Jana and I were the Tagalongs.


Yep.  I'm thinking about it, watching Jana go for it.  For those who don't know, I'm not really a mud girl, or at least I wasn't before today!

 LOVE the look on my face here.

 Mindy's husband captured this smile as I climbed out of this mud.  Love it.

We conquered the mud!

Jana in the foreground and me in the background after we ROCKED the biggest slip and slide ever.

The Freudian Slips with their Tagalongs.  In the background you can see part of the amazingly huge slip and slide

THE END!  We finished and had a blast.  And we have medals. :-)

I arrived home, ate an entire Steak and Shrimp Bowl from Baja Fresh, took a Hollywood Shower, and fell into bed for a nap.  I earned it.

I am a little sore now, with an ace bandage wrapped around my left ankle because some of the terrain was brutal, but overall, I had a blast.  I might even do it again next year.  But first I'm going to do the Color Run!  Who's with me?!?






4 comments:

Maria Steiner said...

Amy- such a small world... Krista (one of the Freudian Slips) is my good friend from middle/high school. I saw you and her in the same picture on facebook and thought... what a small world. Looks like you had a blast! So fun! I don't think we'd ever get Kathy to do this- you have quite the teaching leader
:) Maria

Anonymous said...

Amy it was awesome. Love you and had a blast. You can tag along any time

Maryalicia said...

Love the photos! I took a couple and linked them to your site for my Run Oregon Blog post on Saturday's event! Thanks!

Unknown said...

I LOVE the pics! (I think I may have even spotted where the horse manure might have been during the run). ;)

Yes, hopefully I can do the color run next year too. If you do it this year, let me know and I will go and cheer you on!