Monday, July 16, 2012

Paul Turns Five

My baby is five.  That happened fast.  I've been great with it all day, until just now when I realized he'll be in kindergarten this fall.  Yes, we homeschool.  I know.  What's the big deal?  I'm not sure, but my Mommy heart gets caught in my throat when I think of Baby Paul in kindergarten.  Remember Baby Paul?

I do.  Easiest baby ever.  Well, he's not a baby anymore.

Yesterday we traveled to the Molalla Train Park to celebrate Paul's birthday with friends and family.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I love the Molalla Train Park.  My kids don't know that Disneyland exists.  I know.  We are lame.  Regardless, they LOVE this place, it's only an hour from our house, and it's free.  I'm going to keep holding out on them.

My three engineers ready to celebrate the day.  I am so blessed.  Paul and Luke's little hands wrapped around each other makes me so happy.

Goofiest face that Paul makes...maybe.  He's got quite a few.  This was our first train ride of the day.  Paul and Luke are actually sitting on the engine behind the engineer.  Of course, I don't have a picture of that.  Bummer.

I caught these two having a pow wow about something.  I love this picture.

Happy Boy!

Chocolate cupcakes with sprinkles courtesy of my good friend, Liza.  You are a life saver!  Turns out that attending a memorial service 300 miles away the day before your five-year-old's birthday party makes baking the cupcakes difficult.  I love my friends.

And now a few shots of the guests.  :-)

 He's not happy here, but this little man really loved the train park.  He and his precious family are new friends from Roots.

This dude and his MiMi are enjoying the ride thanks to JP's Junk Removal, apparently.  Hilarious.

The big boys.  The first time we brought Luke to the train park, he couldn't see over the fence yet.  Ack.

Maybe the train park's biggest fan.  This guy announced the arrival of every single train.  He's also part of the Roots Fam.

Being a part time children's pastor has HUGE perks, one of which is this little man being able to say my name and truck across the lawn to come see me.  We are happy.  :-)

So the party was sweet.  We arrived home around 4pm and both boys spent some alone time getting some rest.  Paul put together some LEGOs he had received and Luke actually fell asleep.  I went shopping for Paul's birthday gift.  Procrastinator Extraordinaire is my official title, in case you were curious.

Paul emerged from his room this morning ahead of schedule, around 6:30 am, but on your birthday, you are allowed out before 7am.


Paul began his birthday this morning by building his birthday train.  He wanted to have numbers in each of the animals instead of candles.  I said, "Sure!"  I love birthdays!


After the building of the train, Paul spent some time building new lego acquired at yesterday's celebration.  This particular set is a fire vehicle with a trailer.  Good gift, Meeks!  :-)



Birthday breakfast, chosen by the Birthday Boy, was scrambled eggs, cinnamon toast and Special Juice (Super Orange EmergenC).  Not bad.  Then came the gift.


 I love this picture because Paul is reading his card.  My five year old reads.  That sounds obnoxious, but I can't help myself.  There are SO many things my five year old DOESN'T do.  Come when he's called.  Clean his room.  Eat his vegetables.  Let me enjoy his literacy.  ;-)

 Yes, that is pink princess wrapping paper.  I can explain.  I bought this paper this past winter for a little girl's 4th birthday.  It was perfect.  And Paul LOVED it.  He thinks the princess is pretty.  I'm confident he would buy me a big pink dress with a full hoop skirt if he had income.  Let's ALL be thankful he doesn't.



 A LEGO fire station!  WHAT?!?  That rocks.  Yes, it does.  And I'll tell you why.  My two boys spent the next four, count them FOUR, hours assembling this bad boy with very little arguing or bickering...after Paul experienced a time out at the very beginning for claiming that Luke couldn't even watch him put it together.  (See why I brag about his reading?  Character content still a little low.)  Once that issue was solved by Mommy saying that toys that can't be shared must go away, all was peaceful. :-)


Lunch Break!  That's a peanut butter and jelly "birthday cake" with a side of leftover Sunchips and silliest face.




We needed to light this candle because of the utter fail with the train park candle.  Good times.


 Paul with the finished fire house and engines.  Two garage bays, two engines, sleeping quarters, an office and 662 pieces later, this five year old has proven he really does love LEGO.

The front of Paul's masterpiece.  I didn't want to ask him to stop playing for the picture.  He even put all the decals on by himself.  Am I bragging again? Yep.  I know building with LEGO is not a marketable skill, but watching his little hands put these little pieces together, I thought about how much easier handwriting is going to be this fall.  That's some fine motor skill action, people.  :-)


Currently both brothers are spending their rest time in their rooms.  Paul has new Magic Tree House books thanks to Grandma and Grandpa.  Luke has a new Bobbsey Twins book thanks to the $1 price tag at the Used Curriculum Exchange.  It's quiet here.  I love birthdays.

No comments: