Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Family Reunion, Fourth of July, and First Lost Tooth

We flew to California for the 2012 Bangsund Family Reunion on Monday.  We have been staying in Pacific Grove, CA on the Monterey Peninsula.  It is pretty nice here.  The weather has been mildly overcast, but no rain and plenty of sun breaks.  The reunion itself has been good with difficult moments.  My guys are simply not the best travelers.  They crave routine.  Travel doesn't often provide it.  We've had to crack down on problem behaviors, so they've had LOTS of time outs.  Not exactly vacation, but it is what it is.  Seeing the family has been good.  Next time I would wish for more time in actual conversations with these folks.  It's good that I phrased it that way, because at one point in this trip I was actually fairly certain that we were all done attending family reunions as long as the boys were still at home.  Can you say "high maintenance children"?  Bleck.  Tonight, our last night, I'm feeling like we might try to attend another reunion...in a year or two...preferably two. Trust me.  Everyone needs a break from the Bangsund Brothers.  In two years, folks will be wondering, "Did those dudes every learn how to behave properly at a family meal?"  Yep.  It's been a LONG three days.

I will highlight two super fun events.  Today we watched a 4th of July parade in downtown Monterey, CA.  It was the best of small town parade hilarity.  The boys really enjoyed the multitude of fire engines and police cars.  We cheered for the Book Mobile.  We laughed at the colorful off script commentary from the announcers.  At one point my sister-in-law and I began to sing along with one of the bands.  They were playing a "hair" band song from the 80's.  The title escapes me.  I'm sad that I forgot my camera for all of this, but I know others took pictures, so at least I'll be able to scrap it later.  So much crazy in one place.

The second fun event features my nearly seven year old son.  On the way to the airport Monday, Luke was complaining about a sore tooth.  I asked him which tooth.  He pointed to his lower right front tooth.  When he touched it I could totally tell that it was loose.  I was excited and apprehensive about how this would shake down.  My oldest child sometimes does not enjoy unexpected events or new experiences.  Losing a tooth falls into both categories, even though we have been talking about it for months now.  Regardless, I knew that this might bring more drama than joy.  During the plane ride, he asked me multiple times to try to pull it for him.  I actually did try, but was unable to accomplish the task.  Those little baby teeth are slippery and tiny!  So, we arrived in California with a very loose tooth and a somewhat anxious six year old boy.

He proceeded to baby that tooth for much of the time we here, refusing to use it and asking for softer food about 50% of the time.  I think the rest of the time he forgot about it.  Tonight after we were back in our little cottage for the night, I was feeding the boys leftover food in an attempt to pack as little home as possible.  Luke was downing Craisins when he suddenly spit a small mouthful onto the floor.

I wasn't actually paying any attention to him at the time, but he suddenly said, "My tooth is on the floor!"

I said, "Really?  Where?" He pointed.  Sure enough!  He had been chewing on Craisins and suddenly bit down on something hard - his tooth!  I'm so glad he didn't swallow it.  Not that I want him to make a practice of spitting his food on to the floor, but it worked out well this time. :-)

Here are just a few pics.  More reunion pics to come once we get home.

 Happiest Six Year Old Ever.

After the losing of the tooth, the boys celebrated with special Daddy Time with graham cracker fishies and granola bars in the hammock here at Andril Fireplace Cottages.   They were hunting for bats.  I don't think they saw any.  I don't think it mattered.

No comments: