Friday, November 1, 2013

Unconventional Halloween and Other Fun Bits

As some of you know, we just recently eliminated most sugar and all artificial color from the boys' diets.  This has had an amazingly awesome effect on Luke's ability to focus each morning for school.  Turns out that feeding him protein and complex carbs without added sugar or artificial business helps his brain function.  Go figure.

About a week ago, with Halloween looming on the horizon, I struck a deal with my children.  They could trick or treat but they would only consume three pieces of candy and the rest would be mine (to give out at our door to the bigger kids who always arrive well after my kids are done.)  In exchange for the vast majority of their candy, I would supply them with some cash. Yes. I paid my kids to give me their candy last night.  And it worked BEAUTIFULLY, people.  They went to bed so very happy and they slept like angels all night.  

But the beauty doesn't end there.  They woke up this morning, ate their protein, and we headed for the ATM and the LEGO aisle at Fred Meyer.  Paul brought ALL his money.  He's been building a stash since his birthday.  After about seven minutes of deliberation, he chose two cheaper sets and we headed for the check out stands.  He paid the woman and left a very happy six-year-old.  His brother was also pleased because he got paid for his candy and is continuing to save for the LEGO set that no wise parent purchases but every eight year old saves for.  

We arrived home.  They opened the boxes.  They started to build.  I brought small bowls of mixed nuts to the table.  They finished building and took a lunch break.  Then they started playing with the newly built LEGO.  It is November 1st, and I have not had a single conversation about candy!!  No begging for candy.  No arguments because of too much sugar and not enough nutrients.  

I. Will. Never. Go. Back.  

We will pay our kids for their candy every year.  This day has been quiet, restful, productive, and enjoyable for me and my people.  How many parents and/or teachers can say that?

And now the pics!

First some authentic Bangsund silliness:

They made our bed for us.  And now they are hiding.

And now for the costumed goodness!

This kid is so awesome.

 And cute.

My most sincere apologies to the fans and my oldest son.  We have no pictures of just Luke in his costume.  Not sure how that didn't happen.  But it didn't.  He'll live.  Here's the group shot we took.

 It's the Queen of the Mice with her loyal knight and pet lion.  Obviously.

Another group shot.  Paul just wants to get to the next house.

Ready to begin the build this morning.  Happy!

My last picture was taken in our front yard this week.  The sky has been so blue and the leaves on our trees are finally turning.  I love blue sky days in the fall.


2 comments:

Lynne said...

Outstanding... Congratulations to all. It was fun to "see" the boys last night and share in the fun. xoxo

Unknown said...

To bad you can't get the media to blitz the idea teacher would love it. So glad it worked out well.
MomngBOW