Sunday, December 29, 2013

FISH!

You've probably never seen that Red Dwarf episode where The Cat stands in front of the food replicator machine and repeatedly says, "FISH!" in order to obtain his meal of five or six raw fish.  But I have.  And when titling this blog post, I heard his voice in my head.  It made me happy.  Okay.  Now having used something completely non sequitur as an introduction to my subject, I will tell you a wonderful story.

Christmas night we always go to Uncle Bob and Aunt Cindy's house.  It is a great party with lots of people we know and love.  Each year, there is some sort of gift exchange amongst the adults and the kids usually get a few presents, too.  This year's gifts from Bob and Cindy were particularly super cool and awesome.

First the boys opened a jar of really cool sand stuff that doesn't make a big crazy mess like regular sand.  It sticks together instead.  Sweet!  Then Paul opened Snap Circuits Junior, a completely awesome, fully functioning circuit board that uses snaps as the conductors.  Paul had seen a set very similar to this at our friends' house.  He was overjoyed.  And I was a very happy mom.  Wait for it, people.  It's going to get better.

The boys took their loot, I mean gifts, to the basement and spent the rest of the evening playing with the really cool spinner toys from Chuck and Anita...think super awesome tops with a launcher.  Meanwhile the grown-ups exchanged gifts and enjoyed time laughing together.  When we were all done, Bob and Cindy pulled me aside and said they had one more gift for the boys, but we all needed to come to the kitchen for it.  I was thinking food.  It must be food.  Kitchens have food, right?

Erik ran down to get the boys and I stood in the kitchen chit chatting with our hosts and the grandparents who had followed us in there.  As soon as Paul entered the room, he immediately said, "Look!  Fish!"  Sure enough.  There on the kitchen table sat two elegant fish bowls with one betta fish in each.  I immediately understood and had tears come into my eyes at the sweet, thoughtfulness of our family.

You see, Krista, Lynne, and I had been plotting to get the boys hamsters this Christmas.  After some research, it became apparent that hamsters would not be the best choice for the loud, sometimes high maintenance six year old that lives in our house.  I was a little sad to let go of this idea.  I know.  They smell.  They are nocturnal.  But I had really wanted the boys to experience having pets.  Uncle Bob and Aunt Cindy heard the story from Grandma, and they knew what to do.  FISH!

Back in the kitchen, Paul has no idea these are for us.  He simply asks, "What are their names?"  Uncle Bob tells him that he should name one of them.  Paul quickly says, "This blue one is named Jack."  Sidenote:  Luke has had his red fish for four days now and has tentatively named him Puffer because of his propensity to puff himself up when he sees himself in a mirror.  We'll see if it sticks.

Slowly, both boys realized that these fish were theirs to keep.  Uncle Bob spent the next few minutes teaching them how to feed and care for the fish.  The boys were super excited.  And this mom was so very blessed.  Sometimes the things I would pick for myself aren't the best.  Hamsters.  That would have been nuts.  Sometimes we need other people, wiser people, to pick what we wouldn't pick and gift it to us.  Huge thanks and big hugs to Uncle Bob and Aunt Cindy.  GOOD GIFT!!



 Learning what it takes to feed Jack, who can't be seen.

Luke feeds Puffer, previously known as Red Fish.

For the record, I think Uncle Bob and Aunt Cindy were a little nervous about giving this gift.  And for the record, I will be forever grateful that they did.

We brought our fish home and gave them a place of honor on the bathroom counter.  It's the warmest room in the house.  After one night in the 65 degree living room, it was clear that Jack and Puffer longed for warmer climes.  We have a space heater in the upstairs bathroom because I don't like cold porcelain.  It provides the perfect 72 degrees for our new friends.

Puffer and Jack - aren't they pretty?

No comments: