Monday, December 16, 2013

Getting Away

Erik and I took the opportunity to get away from it all this past weekend.  We escaped...I mean...left town on Friday at 1pm and returned home yesterday at about the same time.  It was a much needed break from our regularly scheduled programming.

We went to Seaside and stayed at the Rivertide Suites on a Living Social deal.  Love the deals.  We did whole lots of nothing, followed by some more nothing.  Okay, we did go up to Astoria Saturday where we climbed the column and visited a few Goonies sites.

Um...so...I'm a true child of the 80's.  I loved that movie.  And I saw it lots.  Yes, the kids swear WAY too much.  And it's got violence.  But I find that the things I grew up with are nearly always too filled with sentiment to offend me now.  Simultaneously, I'm pretty sure that folks who didn't see it then would be grossly offended by it now.  Do kids still cuss like sailors in movies today?   I don't watch movies much anymore, so who knows?

Regardless, some pics to tell more of the trip.

It was super foggy but awesome anyway at the Astoria column on Saturday morning.  Yes, we climbed it.


I was amazed at the amount of acrophobia (irrational fear of heights) I experienced on the way up and the way down.  My grandmother always had this.  I thought it was silly.  Not so much now.

But I made it!  The view wasn't much, but the sense of accomplishment was...worth it?  Um...no.  I probably won't do this again.  Ever.  Scaredy cat!  Yep.  I'll own it.

And now some goofy Goonies sites and props.  Oh, I'm such a dork.

It's the jail that the bad guy brother breaks out of in the opening scene, home to the Oregon Film Museum these days.

It's Chester Copperpot's wallet and the "key" they find around his skeletal neck.
Skeletons?  Dead bodies?  Why does Amy even like this movie?

Mikey's house.  That window with the blue tarp near it is the window he's looking out when we first see him.  Dork dork dorkity dork.  That's me.

I actually have more Goonies pics, but I'm thinking I'll save those for my old age when I no longer differentiate between reality and the movies I loved in my youth.  I'm fairly confident I'll be showing the pics to my great-grandkids telling them the events of the movie like they happened to me.  Oh dear.

Here is our suite:



Meanwhile, at home, Luke got really sick.  Poor guy and POOR Oma.  Nobody but the parents should have to clean up after that.  We owe her.  BIG.  She got way more than she bargained for all night Friday and part of the day Saturday.  Bleck.

This is the boy I left on Friday.  Seriously, I took this shot Friday morning as we finished school.


 (I took this because of the awesome, purple, fuzzy socks he was wearing.)

 And this is the boy we came home to on Sunday:

 All smiles to have Mommy home, but clearly ill.  :-(

Paul has yet to contract the yuck, and I don't knock on wood.  But we are praying hard that he stays healthy.  It's just a junky time of year to be sick.  We all missed church last night.  I was bummed.  So was Paul:
Okay.  This picture has nothing to do with church last night.  I  took it about a half hour ago.  I asked him to smile.  He did this.  Yep.  I don't have high hopes for a Christmas pic this year.  Meh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You mean there was no cave and no ship with all that treasure just waiting to be found by those "goonies"? Well go figure.
Love you...hope I didn't corrupt you to much.
Love, Mom