Monday, April 14, 2014

Writing With Ease

That's the name of the writing curriculum I use with Luke. I picked it because it felt like it would be...you guessed it...easy! And it is.

On Monday every week I read a passage they give me to Luke. I ask a few comprehension questions, also provided. Then I ask him to briefly summarize the passage. At this point, he dictates that business to me and I write it down.

Today's passage was from The Story of the Greeks by H.A. Guerber. Here is what Luke dictated to me:

"All children in Sparta were trained to be brave and fearless. They were taken away at the age of seven, the boys to be trained in the army, the girls to be taught how to keep a house clean and tidy."

Look at that second sentence, people! The structure on that thing is unbelievably complex, especially considering it's from an eight year old boy.

I am continually amazed at the faithfulness of God. Maybe, you ask what Luke's awesome sentence structure has to do with God. I see it this way: I've been struggling with depression. School has continued to happen because God has consistently led me to great curriculum that has produced great results despite a mom with low energy and tears in her eyes.

When I read my Bible, it reminds me that God is able to give us immeasurably more than we ask or imagine. In my world, that second sentence of Luke's is clear evidence of that. My typical prayer during all of this has been, "Help us get school done today, Lord." He had done SO much more. And I am super grateful.

Here's a pic I took of Luke's narration this morning. I hope it helps you see the immense goodness of the God who created you, loves you and wants to provide more than you ask or imagine.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

WOW... How awesome... hugs to you all

anxious to see you soon

Love, Grandma and Grandpa

Unknown said...

That is amazing! He comes by it naturally...his Mom has always enjoyed writing. Well done Luke!
Love you buddy,
Oma