Friday, March 13, 2015

Orange Belts

I'm a little behind.  This happened last Saturday, and I mentioned it in a previous post, but I still haven't shared any of the pictures.

The boys and I tested for our orange belts in Taekwondo.  All three of us passed.  I had just broken my toe Friday morning in class, but was still able to complete all the testing components.  I was wobbly on my side kicks, and it took me two tries to break my board, but they passed me anyway. :-)

Warning:  shameless bragging alert.  Both boys are doing so well.  They are both getting stronger and faster.  Just today in class, they did 20 pushups, but not just regular push-ups.  Every other time up, they reached up and gave the instructor a high-five.  It looked SO hard!  (Yes, I took a Friday off from class in the interest of actually allowing the toe to heal...push ups with a broken toe...um...no.)

Anyway, I am also super pleased with how the boys have improved their focus.  Yes, they can still be squirrelly, but over and over today I heard the instructor saying things like, "Yes!  I like that!  Good job!"  And this was about stuff that looks HARD to me.  I mean, after thirty minutes of calisthenics, making your last ten sit-ups of forty look good?  That's amazing to me!  (Luke did that today.  For real.)

Black belts have to be ultra focused.  They have to undergo testing that requires a lot from them physically and mentally.  When we started this journey, I didn't really know if these peeps would be willing to work that hard.  After six months, I'm fairly certain that my people are in this to win it.  One hundred push ups and one hundred sit ups to qualify for black belt testing, huh?  Okay.  I'll train toward that goal.  How cool is it that?

Okay.  I'll go find the pictures.  It's always a little more complex when they were taken with the Daddy-Man's phone.


Standing at attention, ready for testing to begin.  Does anyone else think it's amazing that my children even do this? (Paul is the second one in and Luke is the fourth one in...I'm on the end...clearly.)



Doing Basic Form for the judges.  (I am supposed to be looking up...oh...self evaluation...so useful.)

 Side Kicks!

 Luke's board breaking

 Paul's board breaking

 Luke receives his belt from Master Nirangen.  We all received them, but this picture was the clearest!

 Saluting the flags at the end of testing.

Our testing group - FUN!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome all three of you!! I was so impressed by there improvement last time I took them. There are really fun to watch. Great work Bangsund clan.