Wednesday, September 16, 2009

First Day of BSF

Today was our first class day for BSF (Bible Study Fellowship). I rave about this organization often enough that y'all should know of which I speak, but if you're confused, just click. :-) Anyway, today was momentous because for the first time ever, all four members of our family were registered, attending members of BSF. Luke, Paul, and I headed out the door together for class this morning. The church our classes uses is only about ten minutes away, so I don't really worry about being late, but there was a moment this morning when I wasn't sure if I would make it. See below.
Let me explain what you are viewing. This picture was taken about five minutes before we needed to be in the car, leaving our house. Notice the shoes in a neat line just beside our back door. Notice the barefooted four-year-old who HAS to finish "reading" (reciting from memory) Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel before we leave. Also notice the completely despondent two-year-old, laying prone in the dining room. All I could was take this picture and pray. Luke finished his book and was happy to put on his shoes and socks. Paul screamed the entire time as I wrestled him into appropriate foot wear. Fortunately the garage door opener saved the day. Paul got to push the button to open the garage door. Then, of course, Luke wanted to push the button, so we closed the garage door and went through the process again, allowing Luke to perform this sacred duty. Who cares? It got us in the car. We will do it every Wednesday if it means driving away from the house with two happy boys! My neighbors have to think I'm insane.
This was the only moment of chaos. We got to the church, set up the chairs for my discussion group in the foyer, which has no less than four exits, during which time Paul sat happily in a chair and watched all the action. There's a LOT of action when around 300 women are all showing up for a Bible study at the same time! I took the boys down to the room where they get to play while I pray with the other leaders. Then it was GO time! Luke and Paul headed to their class and I headed to mine.
I forgot how much I love this! As a discussion leader, I get assigned a new group of 10-15 ladies each fall. Meeting them today was so much fun. We were able to share a little about ourselves and get to know each other and I feel so blessed to have these women in my life already. We are studying John this year. I can hardly wait to get going on my questions tomorrow morning!!! I shared with the group today that I get my study done by getting up early and that my programmable coffee pot is a HUGE incentive for me. I'm just guessing though, that the excitement of getting back into a hardcore Bible study is going to be plenty to get me out of bed tomorrow.
How goes the home schooling, you ask? Answer: Awesome! It is Luke's favorite part of each day. He has been dressing himself the last few mornings and eating breakfast rather quickly. I have a bell that I ring to begin our school day. (Former students will remember my bell fetish.) Luke literally RUNS to our school room when he hears the bell. It's adorable. He's got the schedule memorized and can be heard chanting parts of it to himself during transitions. My favorite version so far is, "Science on the couch. Science on the couch." No, this is not a lab science on the couch. It's Berenstain Bears science on the couch. Very fun. Here are a few pictures of this last Sunday when we did school because we could. :-)

Luke completing a visual memory activity. The items on the tray were removed one at a time and he had to color the picture of the missing item. Cake for this guy.

Luke is practicing the letter "L" on his rough work surface during visual review for "Go Phonics." He definitely struggles with the hand writing portion of this curriculum, but loves this fancy board that Grandpa made for him. We will continue with the handwriting, but I'm not being a stickler about anything at this point. He's four. :-)

Luke uses his Feel Box for the first time, trying to figure out what /l/ sound word is hidden inside. It took him a few guesses and some hints to discover it was a leaf. He was delighted! This week is /t/ and I'm open to suggestions!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The pictures are precious. Luke looks like he is really getting into school. "T" things....truck, turtle, Thomas the train...tool...

Lynne said...

Thanks for the update glad all is going so well love to all