Thursday, April 26, 2007

Like Daddy

I am noticing more and more that our son wants to do everything just like Daddy. Tonight at dinner we had some hummus and pita bread. Luke was eyeing it warily until he saw Daddy eating it. Erik asked Luke if he would like to try some, like Daddy. We gave him a little bit of hummus on his plate and a small piece of pita bread. He carefully watched Daddy model how to dip the pita into the hummus. The face Luke made when he tried the hummus was a clear message that he did not need anymore on his plate. To his credit, he didn't spit it out. We were thrilled.
While Erik was putting him in his pajamas, he beat out a rhythm on his chest and Luke's belly. This always delights Luke and keeps him on his back while we wrestle arms and feet into the appropriate spots. After Erik was finished with the rhythm, Luke said, "like Daddy, like Daddy" and attempted to pound his little chest. I seriously don't think he noticed that no sound accompanied his efforts. It simply didn't matter. He was being like Daddy.
All this imitation got me thinking tonight. How often do I find myself striving to be like my Heavenly Daddy? Do I watch Him so closely through the person of His Son in Scripture that I can't help but imitate Him? When was the last time I tried something new for Him? Am I rejoicing in my every attempt even though it pales in comparison to His ability? When Luke tries to be like Erik, he never gets angry at himself because he can't quite do it. And Erik is thrilled with every attempt made. Likewise God delights in my every effort and empowers me to be more "like Daddy" every day. I am thankful.

No comments: