Thursday, April 19, 2007

Slower Traffic

"Slower Traffic Keep Right" is a white sign with black lettering that is common on highways. It is a nice way of saying, "If you can't go fast enough to keep the people behind you from honking and swearing, please get out of their way." Having recently driven approximately 240 miles on a there-and-back, two-day road trip I have some personal experience with this sign. Interestingly, I used to be one for whom the sign meant, "They are supposed to move over and get out of my way so that I can drive at whatever crazy speed I want." With my toddler in the backseat and my soon to be second-born gestating in my belly I have a different perspective. Watching the cars zoom by, I found myself wondering why the speed limit isn't fast enough. I have come to believe that somebody somewhere really did do some research about the safest rate of travel for any given stretch of highway. That number is clearly represented by the black letters on the white background of the speed limit signs. I hear you saying, "But if you go five over, you won't get pulled over." This may well be true. But if you go five over and your car hits a slick patch or you have to stop suddenly, will you be alive to say, "I was only going five over...I don't deserve a ticket!" I'm happy with the slower traffic keeping right. You can see the sheep and listen to your son say, "BAAAAA!" at the top of his lungs there. Join me sometime. It's a lovely ride.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's why I really like coming down early in the morning. It is so quiet and if someone comes up behind me there is lots of room to move over. I don't say Baa at the sheep, however, last time I did moo at a cow or two. Oh well what are you going to do. Love, Mom