Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Music Appreciation

My son enjoys listening to music while in his playroom or riding in the car, but often uses the phrase, "New one" to indicate his current lack of appreciation for the current song being played. He would like a new song to be playing...now. Sometimes this occurs while we are listening to a CD and sometimes the radio programming gets "gonged" with a sudden "New one" being piped up from the backseat. It even happened once when the car next to us was playing exceedingly loud music that Luke did not find to his liking. In that instance he had to wait for the light to change. Mommy's woofers and tweeters were no match.
In light of this tendency to request new music, I have made it a goal to find a CD that will keep Luke from asking for a new one, mostly so I can drive or sit on the couch without having to constantly change the track. We have tried Children's Bible Songs. We have tried Scripture Memory Songs. We have tried the Classical station, the Jazz station, the contemporary Christian station, and NPR. "New one!"
Today I found an old Keith Green CD that I bought in high school. Remember him? Serious Jesus Freak who played piano like some sort of gifted dude and sang lyrics that either convicted you or just made you mad. His sound is so seventies, it's almost indescribable. I love it. I loved it in high school when I "discovered" it and I love it now. I popped that bad boy into the CD player, fully intending to ignore my son's every request for "New one." Genetic predisposition to crazy seventies music prevailed! Luke didn't ask for a new one once! Wohoo!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

He may look like his daddy but he has a lot of his mommy in him. I'm so glad he like Keith---what fun for both of you.
Love, Mom

Jessica Kaylor said...

Another fun CD is called "Seeds of Courage". It is a memory verse CD, but the changes in tempo are so vast, it will be like a new CD for Luke in every track. It is totally catchy and we ALL love it and sing along...loudly!